The meeting was called to order at 6:00 P.M. by Debbie Leaming, president. Other board members present were Roy Chaney, Marvin Johns, Kirk Brown, and Theda Sheets along with Glenna Blair, secretary. Karla Cheek was absent. The minutes of the last meeting were changed to show that there was a charge for garage sale ads by the newspaper office but that advertisers would receive a free garage sale sign. Roy moved that the minutes be approved as corrected. Marvin seconded the motion which was approved. The financial report was approved on a motion by Roy and second by Marvin. Glenna started the secretary’s report by showing members the letter that she and Debbie worked on to send to prospective members along with a flyer that explained why they should join the Chamber. She also told everyone about an invitation from Pioneer Tech for a bar-b-q lunch on Friday, May 11 for their supporters. For Business of the Month, it was decided that it would be changed to every other month.
There was no old business to discuss.
- The first order of new business was a 4th of July Celebration on the Court House Lawn that the Chamber was asked to participate in. It would have a Patriotic theme with everyone asked to bring their own lunch and lawn chair or blanket to sit on. The Chamber was asked to hand out the bottled water. More details will be decided later.
- Next, the group talked about what we could do to make Main Street look more appealing to visitors. Flags for light poles, Christmas decorations, and flower pots were discussed. Marvin and Kirk will talk to city officials about the idea. Glenna will work up some budget numbers.
- The Chamber was assigned an area for the city-wide cleanup. Our area is behind the football field from South Street to Peckham road. It was decided to meet on Tuesday, May 22 at 6:00 behind Butler Trucking. Roy will pick up gloves, trash bags, etc. from the Main Street Office.
- It was decided to put a 3 X 5.5 ad in the Graduation tab of the Newkirk Herald Journal to congratulate the seniors.
- We were asked to submit an article to the newspaper to let people know what was happening with the Chamber. Debbie volunteered to do this once a month.
- Glenna asked about the possibility of getting a business credit or debit card for the Chamber. She will talk to Bobbie at Equity Bank to see if she thinks one would be better than the other. The motion was made to approve by Marvin, seconded by Theda. Motion passed.
- There was some discussion on shirts for the directors. Medium blue shirts with the Chamber emblem embroidered was suggested. Glenna will check on costs.
- Business After Hours was the next topic. Glenna was asked to see about getting a sponsor for a date in June.
- Theda presented the idea of having a Friendship Feast in Newkirk. The Chamber would only be asked to support this through possible advertising.
Meeting was adjourned on a motion by Theda, seconded by Kirk.